Friday, April 15, 2005

5% Dixie?

This fun little lexicon-sorter blogged over at ilani ilani says I've got 5% Dixie in me (see below). Now, introspectively, it has always seemed to me that my idiolect is a sort of amalgam of my mother's probably mainly Californian dialect and my father's eastern Canadian, including a few distinctly Canadian vowels. It doesn't include, sadly, much if any Newfoundland English, of either variety, despite its being home.

I was recently trying rather seriously to figure out how to describe my speech because a review of my in-the-works English Words textbook asks me (quite reasonably) to 'geographically identify' my dialect, which I refer to in the book. Problem is, saying that I spent the first 20 years of my life in Newfoundland gives entirely the wrong impression.

The profile the blogthing comes up with for me seems perfectly plausible overall, esp. given that there's only 20 words in the little survey, but I really have to wonder what lexical item is giving me that 5% Dixie. I wouldn't have thought that I had the slightest Dixie in my mix at all.

I notice that all the commenters at ilani ilani test at or over 5% Dixie too, although most of them seem to be from California. What test item do you think it is?

Anyway, following a year-long avoidance period for getting over some deep textbook-writing-related phobia or other, the revisions finally got done this and last week, after extreme marathon rewriting by yours truly and extreme marathon proofreading by your blogger's husband. Thank heavens for that. The book should be out (with Blackwell) in December.
...now how big is that to-do list?




Your Linguistic Profile:



55% General American English

35% Yankee

5% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern



Update: Bridget's considered each item individually, and wonder's if it's catty-corner...but that wasn't it for me...I said kitty-corner. hmm!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bridget Samuels said...

My hypothesis is that "catty-corner" is the culprit -- I just posted some more info.

7:16 AM  
Blogger hh said...

huh! but for that one, I said 'kitty-corner'...

11:42 AM  
Blogger Bob Kennedy said...

Hi Heidi!

I came out 10% dixie:

60% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern

The Midwestern is probably the "pop" item. I might have got some Dixie scores from "icing". The easy-course item I use, "bird course", was not on the list.

This was fun, but also kind of bogus.

1:56 PM  
Blogger hh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:45 PM  
Blogger hh said...

...no! not bogus... not a blogthing!

and here I thought they were scientifically acredited analytic tools... dang!

:) hh

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home