Tuesday, April 19, 2005

notes from a clamshell iBook

My 3-yr old G3 iBook redied today... its second logic board fritzed out. Just a few weeks after Apple's most recent deadline for (re?)replacing them, too. *Extremely* annoying. Wasn't the replaced one any better than the original bad one? Got all the data off the HD, though, after a day at the FAS faculty help center. Thank you, help center persons! For a while, back to ol' trusty & hefty, and OS 9.2.

Waiting around for news on the patient, though, I ran across a couple of things that you all probably already know about but which were new to me:

Suzette Haden Elgin, of Native Tongue et seq., has a blog:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ozarque/, with musings on science-fiction publishing, language construction and linguistic mimicry techniques, among other things.

And here's a collection of 16th century Dutch idioms, which you can browse while helping out a research project (see the Linguist List post). I estimate that about 10-15 per cent of them are current in (my) English; the others are mysterious to me. And I didn't know about that painting by Bruegel the elder! Uncultured me.